Friday, April 2, 2010

Rembering Essay

Rachael Fenton
Mrs. Jordan-Squire
Remembering Essay
January 25th, 2010
Chicago

“Nothing in the world could possibly be as amazing as this mind-boggling city!” I said with a goofy smile as big as a banana plastered on my face. As soon as I stepped out of the 20-foot dim lighted train tunnel and saw the “Windy City” for the first time I was astonished. I never saw anything like it before. At that moment I had an epiphany and knew my life was going to change forever. Chicago, to me, is the most breathtaking city in the entire world and I will, no matter what it takes, pursue my future there.

The noises, the smells, the sights – it was all so enticing I just wanted to stand in wonderment and absorb it. It was the summer before my freshman year and my mom, two aunts and I decided that we were going to take a girls trip to Chicago. I never knew that it would change my whole life. The train ride to Chicago takes about four hours. The whole ride there I couldn’t sit still. I was trying to preoccupy myself with music and magazines but I was too excited. When we were about 45 minutes outside Chicago, I could start to see the colossal buildings standing taller then anything I’ve ever seen.

When we finally got out into the “Windy City” it felt as if I was in a dream; it didn’t seem real. I wanted to walk everywhere, see everything, and talk to everyone. “Rachael, Rachael! Hello, earth to Rachael!” my mom said. I was so awe-struck by everything I had no idea she was even talking. I was so captivated by this city I could have stood in that same spot all day and been on cloud nine. Being used to living in Lima my entire life, Chicago was like a playground and I was a little kid. There was so much to do in so little time. You could stay there for a week and still not see all the breathtaking sights and we only stayed for three days so I didn’t get to even see half of this glorious city.

Right when I walked into the chaos of Chicago, Illinois I felt more at home than I feel in my actual birthplace. I knew right then and there that this is where I was meant to be in my life. Chicago has so many more opportunities than Lima and it has so much more to do. I get bored very easily so Chicago is perfect for me. This city is so flawless I was bewildered. I was speechless for the first couple hours we were in the city. All I could do was look around with mammoth bug eyes in wonder.

Every day we were there was packed with exhilarating activities. I couldn’t get enough; I always wanted to be on the move. One of the most memorable places we visited was Millennium Park. There were beautiful gardens of pink, purple, orange, blue, and green flowers. It was like a Technicolor rainbow of colors in the midst of a sea of people. There were smells of fresh hotdogs and lemonade. Every person had handfuls of shopping bags and souvenirs. This park was full of hustle and bustle just how I like it. The greatest thing about the park was the enormous bean directly in the middle. This bean was a huge circular mirror. It reflected the whole city onto it. There was an arc in it so you could walk underneath and look at your reflections. Nothing in Lima could top this.

Even the restaurants in Chicago were greater than anything in Lima. Ed Devebics, Cheesecake Factory, and Corner Café are not even one fourth of the fantastic diners in Chicago. My favorite was Ed Devebics. With a 50’s theme, the waiters were impolite to you on purpose. No matter what mood you are in, once you walk into this restaurant you automatically start chuckling. Just the atmosphere is enough to bring you into a euphoric mood. Everything is bright and cheery with colorful decorations and entertaining music. At some point during your dinner the waiters even get on top of the counters to dance and sing. Since the waiters were rude to me, I was just as rude back. “Would you be quiet you brat!?” the waiter said to me and I replied by saying, “Well if you wouldn’t take so long with my food I wouldn’t have to be a brat!.”

The whole three days I was there I could picture myself in the future living the life in this incredible city. I knew that to fulfill my dreams I would have to move to Chicago. I would never be 100 percent pleased with my life if I never moved there. That’s why it’s so important to me that someday I get out of Lima and get into the “Windy City”. Happiness is very important to me because going through life miserable is a waste of time. Why should I even be here on this planet if I’m not going to be the happiest I can be? I know that if I live my life in Lima I won’t be the happiest I can possibly be which is why I need to leave someday. I always knew, since I was little, that I wasn’t meant to stay in Lima forever and once Chicago hit me I knew that’s where I was meant to be.

I will never be able to forget that trip I took to the world famous Chicago. It changed my life forever and now I know where I am supposed to be in my life. I was always worried I would never have that moment where a light bulb turns on in my head and everything comes together, but after stepping one foot into Chicago I didn’t have to worry anymore. It doesn’t matter to me what it takes, but I will someday be saying hello to Chicago and goodbye to Lima.

No comments:

Post a Comment